Test Flight of Prototype #3 McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II Photo April 1982 For Sale


Test Flight of Prototype #3 McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II Photo April 1982

Buy Now

Test Flight of Prototype #3 McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II Photo April 1982:
$124.95

An original McDonnell Douglas St. Louis photograph of the maiden test flight of the Harrier AV-8B in April of 1982. There is a #3 on the tail, indicating this is the 3rd production prototype of the AV-8B on it's test flight as outlined below."In August 1981 the program received a boost when British Aerospace (BAe) and McDonnell Douglas signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU), marking the UK's re-entry into the program. The British government was enticed by the lower cost of acquiring Harriers promised by a large production run, and the fact that the US was shouldering the expense of development. Under the agreement BAe was relegated to the position of a subcontractor, instead of the full partner status that would have been the case had the UK not left the program. Consequently, the company received, in man-hours, 40 percent of the airframe work-share. Aircraft production took place at McDonnell Douglas' facilities in suburban St. Louis, Missouri, and manufacturing by BAe at its Kingston and Dunsfold facilities in Surrey, England. Meanwhile, 75 percent work-share for the engine went to Rolls-Royce, which had previously absorbed Bristol Siddeley, with the remaining 25 percent assigned to Pratt & Whitney. The two companies planned to manufacture 400 Harrier IIs, with the USMC expected to procure 336 aircraft and the RAF, 60.
Four full-scale development (FSD) aircraft were constructed. The first of these (BuNo 161396), used mainly for testing performance and handling qualities, made its maiden flight on 5 November 1981, piloted by Plummer. The second and third FSD aircraft, which introduced wing leading-edge root extensions and revised engine intakes, first flew in April the following year; the fourth followed in January 1984."
A very rare original photograph.Measures 8x10
Box J1119A


Buy Now


Other Related Items:



Related Items:

YB-49 Flying Wing Aircraft-First Test Flight- Bomber Prototype 1947 -8x12 Photo picture

YB-49 Flying Wing Aircraft-First Test Flight- Bomber Prototype 1947 -8x12 Photo

$15.98



USAF 419TH FLIGHT TEST SQ -419 FLTS- B-2-B BOMBER DEFENSIVE SYSTEM UPGRADE PATCH picture

USAF 419TH FLIGHT TEST SQ -419 FLTS- B-2-B BOMBER DEFENSIVE SYSTEM UPGRADE PATCH

$11.95



USAF 461st FLIGHT TEST SQ - F-35 MISSION EFFECTIVENESS TEAM- ORIGINAL VEL PATCH picture

USAF 461st FLIGHT TEST SQ - F-35 MISSION EFFECTIVENESS TEAM- ORIGINAL VEL PATCH

$11.95